Thursday, March 3, 2016

Slow Cooker "Mexican" Chicken Baked Burritos with Cheese Sauce

Slow Cooker Chicken
2 pounds chicken breast
1/2 cup chili sauce
3 TBL brown sugar
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can green chilies
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano


Mix it all up in the crockpot for 2-3 hours on high or low for about 6 hours.  Shred chicken, I cheat and put it in my mixer, so much faster and I don't have to either wait or get burnt fingers. Throw back in the crockpot.  You can either cook it down some more, or just drain off the juice and pull the chicken out with tongs and let the juice go back into the pot.  


Burrito ingredients
6-8 raw tortillas, find them in the refrigerated section
8 oz shredded colby jack cheese
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
3 TBL butter
3 TBL flour
2 cups warm water (I throw in a chicken bullion cube)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil, makes clean up so much easier. Spray it with cooking spray so they don't stick.  Stuff each uncooked tortilla with the meat that has been drained, or your burrito will be soggy.  Next put on some cheese and roll it up. Place seam side down.  Next bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until getting crispy.  Flip them over and turn on the broiler.  Broil until they are crispy on this side.  While those have been baking and broiling make up the cheese sauce.  Melt the butter in a pot, add in the flour and whisk/stir well until it starts to turn a tan color.  Slowly add in the water and stir until it thickens add the cumin before it thickens too much, every time is different for me for the timing. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining cheese and sour cream.  Whisk smooth.  Serve.  I didn't smoother them until they were on the plates, less mess and you can better control the smothering.  



I varied this up from this recipe and this recipe.    Carlsbad Carvings...Lots of yummy sounding recipes.  I wanted to make it as written but I thought I had all the ingredients and didn't.  Salsa-nope. Chili powder-how did I run out of that?! So I altered it and really we enjoyed it more, and Pete actually ate it because it wasn't spicy at all, super yummy, but no real spice which is what works for us. It was definitely on the sweeter side.   I loved the idea of using the uncooked tortillas and baking them after stuffing, super genius right there!  Sometime I'm hoping to actually try the recipe as written but so far my brain doesn't function well enough to have everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment