Monday, August 26, 2013

Cheesy Bacony Corn Chowder

4 cups(ish) corn broth/chicken broth
3 slices bacon
1 onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 bag frozen corn or a couple ears of fresh corn cooked and cut off the cob
4oz cream cheese
1/2 block extra sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the bacon until crisp in a medium pot.  Remove bacon leave drippings toss in onion, cook until transulent.  Add garlic.  Crumble the cooked bacon and add back to the pot.  Mix in the flour until oil is absorbed and it sticks to the food.  Add broth in 1 cup at a time to stirring well.  Add in the corn and cream cheese.  After cream cheese has melted add a bit of the cheddar to the pot and leave the rest for topping. 

Hopefully this makes sense.  I've never found the perfect chowder recipe so I just fake what I do like.  You can tweak how you'd like.  I made the corn stock from the cobs of corn destined for the freezer and cooked them in water for about an hour.  Lots more stuff can off and the flavor was amazing!  I made 4 extra bags for the freezer so I can use it later on this winter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment